Looking over all of the schedules that we have converted to templates over the years, we notice that the most popular in
However, the second most popular
It is a 2-week, 12 hour shift schedule template. One crew works [4 on 3 off] [3 on 4 off] and the other works [3 on 3 off] [4 on 4 off]. 4 templates are required; 2 on day shift and 2 on
*** What is a template? - a template could be a single employee or a squad of employees working the same shifts. This would depend upon your department size and minimum staffing levels.
Above is a picture of what it would look like in Excel or Word. Below is what it would look like as a template in scheduling software:
While these are all
Let's explore some other positive and negative aspects of this schedule:
- Consistent day/night shift
- Most days worked in a row = 4
- 4 days off in a row
- Comp time accumulation - approx. 104 hours a year
- Every other Saturday off
- Not equal - 2 squads get 2 Sundays off where other gets only every other Saturday
- 12 hour shifts can be hard on employee's health
- With unequal weekends off and only 2-week template, may need to switch templates often (shift bids)
The Idaho Schedule provides 24x7 coverage for patrol with 12 hour shift schedules for 7 days a week. If this is not the right schedule for your department, check back on our blog regularly for more schedule examples. You can subscribe at the top right of this page to receive one email a month giving you the latest articles posted.
Want to take this information with you? View a printable version of this article by clicking on the button below!
PlanIt Schedule can handle 24x7 schedules, such as the Idaho, with ease. Call us today to get your questions answered and find out how much time scheduling software will be able to save your department (866-471-2001). See the system's features here.
Want to read more?
- What You Need to Know About The Pitman Schedule
- How to Easily Manage And Reduce Overtime in Your Department
- 5 Administration Problems You're Having - And How to Solve Them